Vitiligo is a chronic skin condition characterized by the development of white patches on the skin.
- Our skin has colour forming cells called melanocytes.
- In vitiligo, our immunity starts attacking these colour forming cells.
- Loss of colour forming cells leads to loss of pigment production in skin
- This leads to white colour in skin where colour forming cells were killed. This condition is called vitiligo or Leucoderma.
Vitiligo Facts and Figures
- Vitiligo affects over 1% of people in the world. Both genders are affected equally. It is observed that the disorder is easily found in people above 40 and some before 20.
- This disease is rather believed to be an autoimmune condition
- Vitiligo is genetic and can be seen in patients who inherit traits of this disease from their ancestors as the condition tends to run in families.
- There could be multiple other such as thyroid dysfunction.
- There are certain allopathic treatments available today but they do not offer 100% cure although Ayurveda has longstanding benefits and can greatly achieve significant progress in handling vitiligo.