According to Ayurveda: -
1. Using of opposite quality foods at the same time such as using Yogurt with Milk or Fish with Milk or ACHAR (Pickle) with Milk or Honey with Ghee (Butter). These are opposite foods and if taken together, they produce slow poisons in our body. (We have seen people taking fish preparations and cheese preparations along with alcohol, this is a deadly combination and can easily lead to skin diseases because fish and milk products like cheese are contraindicated.)
2. Long standing constipation is a major trigger. If we stop the natural Vegas i.e. stool, urine and semen, then constipation will occur and toxins will come back into our blood system and release through our skin in the form of a disease like Psoriasis.
3. Using cold drinks and cold water when you are in stress or after physical activity is just like an injury to skin and it is a proven fact that injury to skin triggers psoriasis (Koebner’s sign).
4. Taking heavy meals in short durations without getting earlier meals properly digested. This also produces slow poisons which gets released in the blood.
5. Taking heavy meals in breakfast, lunch and dinner on a single day makes it difficult to digest and produces toxins in the body.
In our clinical practice I have noticed that two pillars which support our body system .
1. AAHAR (diet)
2. NIDRA (Sleep)
A person who consumes proper food, has good digestion and good sleep at night is less likely to be affected by Psoriasis, even though he might be having a family history of Psoriasis!
To cure Psoriasis permanently we must consider the above mentioned triggers along with the obvious triggers like Stress and Climate Change.
Common Causes of Psoriasis according to modern medicine:-
3. Injury to skin
5. Extreme Temperature
What can trigger Psoriasis?
1. Dietary habits
- The National Psoriasis Foundation argues that psoriasis can get triggered in people who consume whole milk, citrus fruits, gluten, and fatty foods.
2. Sun exposure
- While lots of sun exposure gives your skin adequate vitamin D, however for some people excessive sun exposure can lead to dryness and aggravate Psoriasis.
- Psoriasis patients already have dry, rough and scaly skin patches and constantly need moisturizing creams to soften up the scaly edges. Cold weather makes the scales itchy and dry due to lack of moisture. Therefore, a humidifier can be a viable option.
- Psoriasis greatly impacts your appearance and exposure. It therefore induces stress and stress causes psoriasis. Unfortunately, stress is a big trigger for psoriasis outbreaks. Some common therapies can be yoga and meditation because these practices have shown high success ratio in relieving stress associated symptoms than any other.
- Being overweight sometimes can make you pay more than its side effects because it increases the risk of psoriasis and tend to make the symptoms even worse. Weight loss can substantially lower the flareups.
6. Social habits
- Unfortunately, alcohol is a trigger for many people with psoriasis. A study from Brigham and Women’s Hospital revealed how psoriasis increased in people consuming hard liquor.
- Better to avoid smoking if you have psoriasis since nicotine is also what you need to avoid, tobacco can increase your risk of psoriasis and also make your symptoms more severe.
- Beta-blockers, used for high blood pressure and steroidal medicines always should be consulted for with a doctor before intake if you are suffering from Psoriasis symptoms.
- Infections are common like strep throat (Streptococcal pharyngitis), thrush (Candida albicans), and upper respiratory infections. What’s the harm then? Psoriasis is triggered by this petty infectious syndrome. If you have been infected with any of these bacteria types, promptly consult your doctor.
8. Marks, scratches, bites on skin
- If you develop a rash or skin mark, or a bug bite, some psoriasis lesions can also develop surrounding that infected area. Doing any activities where you have open skin exposure, extra precaution is the key.
- Psoriasis can be managed and with a little planning one can go a long way toward preventing an outbreak. Having a bit of knowledge about psoriasis can make you ready to fight this deplorable symptom.